Friday, January 11, 2013

Embossing on Wood



We had the first white Christmas in many years here in East Texas. In honor of the event I created this snowflake tray.  I started with a raw wood tray that I got at Hobby Lobby. I gave it a coat of blue paint. 
Next, I cut snowflakes of various sizes from the Winter Woodland Cricut cartridge and glued them down in a random pattern.

   Something I’ve wanted to try is embossing on wood. I haven’t done much embossing at all so I didn’t know if it was possible, but I thought I’d try it on this project. I did a practice stamp on the raw wood of the bottom of the tray. It worked pretty much like embossing does on paper except the ink bled into the wood grain slightly.  Not to be daunted, I decided to try again.  After I painted the tray and glued on the snowflakes I tried embossing again. I figured that after the wood was painted, it would be sealed and take care of the bleeding problem. I was right.  

Embossed Snowflakes on either side of Winter Woodland Cricut cut




Using a winter stamp set from the $1.00 bin at Michael’s, I stamped snowflakes with clear embossing ink. I sprinkled white Zing!  Embossing powder by American Crafts on part of the flakes and Stampendous! Transparent Star Dust over the rest of the snowflakes.  I love watching the embossing powder heat up and make it's transition from powder to a glossy image. It's like magic. As you can see in the photograph above the white Zing! stands out better, but I like the sparkly quality of the Star Dust powder too. Which one do you like?
The Finished Tray

I’ll be entering my Snowflake tray project in the following challenges. Hope you’ll stop by and see all the fun projects, cards and layouts they have out there!
 

20 comments:

  1. What a pretty tray for winter, your embossed snowflakes look terrific!!! I had no idea you cold do this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy. I'm beginning to eye anything wood in a whole different light now that I know it can be embossed.

      Delete
  2. This is a neat idea..Thanks for joining us at BBTB2:) Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tray. Wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing with us at BBTB2. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully creative idea and fabulous inspiration! Thank you for joining us at BBTB2 this week and sharing your project!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute & Fun!!AWESOME idea!Great Job!
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  6. So super cool! Neat idea, it turned out great!
    Thank you for sharing with us a Little Scrap Pieces!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tray! The snowflakes and embossing are fabulous.Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 and LSP.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great project. Beautiful tray, love the color and the snowflakes. Thanks for joining us on our BBTB2 challenge.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic winter tray. Thanks for playing along with us at GoFish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I figure I'd hop on over here and say hi. I'm your newest follower.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well aren't you a smart little cookie!! I so love this tray!! The color you painted is fabulous and I just love, love the snowflakes and the embossed snowflakes! Who knew you could emboss on wood?! Just fabulous!! Thanks for joining us at
    BBTB2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, I like this idea! Super FUN!
    Thanks so much for joining us in the challenge at LSP!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for joining us in the challenge at My Craft Spot too!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com
    DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! What a great project! Thanks so much for joining us this week at My Craft Spot!!!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job on this! Thanks for playing at My Craft Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super tray! It's perfect for serving hot cocoa on a winter's day (although it sounds as though snow is not the norm for you!).

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome what a great project.
    Thank you for joining us at Little Scrap pieces.
    LSP--DT member
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice project! The embossing looks great! Thanks for joining us over at Little Scrap Pieces! DT Member Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow love it so creative. Must have been wonderful having a white Christmas. Thanks so much for joining the "winter Blues" lsp challenge this week. Karen

    ReplyDelete