Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bed Skirt

I haven't had much chance to scrapbook lately. I hope I'll be able to remedy that tomorrow afternoon. This time of year is when I do my deep cleaning. We have family and friends over for Thanksgiving and it really revs me into a cleaning, get those household projects done, mode. That's why I made a bed skirt for the guest bed this week instead of scrapbooking.


   I needed to be able to hide all the junk we have stuffed under the bed. LOL. That's one of the great things about those old tester beds. They are high up off the ground and you can store lots of stuff under them.
There's a whole other household under there. What's under your bed?


Bravo for you if there are only dust bunnies. If there aren't even any dust bunnies call me. I'd like for you to come clean my house too.
 The bed skirt was really quite easy to make. I bought a twin flat sheet at the thrift store and 4 yards of eyelet fabric at Hancocks. The width of the sheet was perfect for the double bed and it's frame but I had to cut off about a foot on the length. I tore the eyelet fabric in two down the center fold and used the selvage edge as the bottom so I didn't have to hem it.  I then cut it into 3 panels. 2 for the sides and one for the foot of the bed. Each panel was about 1and 1/2 times the length that I needed so it had a little fullness but wasn't too frilly. I finished off the edges of each of the short ends so they would be neat. Then I ran 2 basting stitches along the torn sides so I could gather it a little. I pinned the fabric to the sheet Right sides together. I started out by pinning the first panel at each end and then put one pin in the middle, adjusted the gathers pinning more securely as I went along. Then I sewed it together. I did this for all 3 sides. When I was done sewing and pressing it I put it over the foundation mattress, put the top mattress back on the bed, adjusted the length and was done. 2 evening worth of work. It probably would have been less but I got caught up in a TV show and it slowed my progress. Abracadabra our camping equipment is out or sight, out of mind until next camping season.

No comments:

Post a Comment